from 1924 - 1967

1926 - Schoolchildren sitting on the front steps of THE ALBION SCHOOLHOUSE

1926 - Schoolchildren sitting on the front steps of THE ALBION SCHOOLHOUSE

By 1924, Albion was central to the logging industry, and the population was growing. The Albion Schoolhouse was constructed to serve the town's schoolchildren. Active until 1967, this grammar school closed as the population decreased and the remaining children were bussed 10 minutes north to the school in the village of Mendocino.

from 1967 - 1995  

Between 1967 and 1995 the building served in various capacities:  a community center; a grocery store; a pot dispensary; a women's cooperate; an annex for The College of The Redwoods.

from 1995 - 2014 

And in 1995 the hit record producer William Bottrell purchased the Schoolhouse. For 20 years he lovingly restored and renovated the schoolhouse. At one point Mr. Bottrell moved his recording studio into the house and such artists as Seal, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Shelby Lynne, and Sheryl Crow recorded or performed there.

from 2014 - present

In July 2014,  San Francisco Rabbi Sydney Mintz and Documentary Filmmaker Justine Shapiro purchased the property with the hope that they would be able to rent it often enough so that they could afford to keep it forever and ever.